Wednesday, July 19, 2006

There's Something in the Air (again)

Yes, it's true, they're going to be spraying for mosquitos again this year on Staten Island, in an effort to prevent our blood-sucking friends from spreading West Nile Virus. We have noticed that there are an awful lot of mosquitos where we live, though we suspect this has more to do with our neighbor's fallow and uncovered swimming pool than it does with any other environmental change. That's unlikely to change any time soon though, because our zip code isn't among the ones being poisoned anyway (tonight, 7/19, and tomorrow morning, 7/20). If you live between zip codes 10308 and 10312, I'd close your windows if I were you. In the late '90s, I was sitting on a stoop downtown somewhere after midnight and some trucks went by and sprayed me (and the rest of the block) with malathion, and apart from being pretty eerie, it smelled awful and made me lightheaded. Well, on the upside, there were probably no more mosquitos living in my lungs...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Prodigal Borough:

    A fairly new reader here curious about your search for other contributors. I'd like to get your e-mail address if possible so I could get an idea of what you're looking for. My name's James, a 21 year old native Staten Islander. Hell, do I have a lot to say about it. So, what exactly are you looking for? My e-mail address is james.curcuru@gmail.com. Please get back to me when you can. Thanks.

    Sincerely,
    James Curcuru

    ReplyDelete