Thursday, October 11, 2007

Bohemia By The Bay: The New York Times Features Staten Island

Cara Buckley from the New York Times first contacted me about this feature a few months ago. Supposedly she had heard my interview on NY1 or maybe she had heard Sara Valentine's interview on NPR. Either way, she got in touch with me first and she wanted to come to Staten Island and find out if it was becoming "hip". I introduced her to most of the people I know on Staten Island including Christoph and Trish who were just about perfect for this piece because of their witty songs about the island. Michelle Monteleone, from The Times, also came to the island and I gave her a little tour and interview. In her video, Adam Ferretti, makes a good point. Staten Island attracts "more actual artists" and not hipsters who desire to to be seen as cool. Many people were interviewed and things were left out due to space constraints. My main feelings about Staten Island were not included. This is how I feel: I live here because I want to, not because I have to. Staten Island's North Shore offers trees, gardens, unique people, diversity, large beautiful homes, safety, fog horns, water, marinas, really good Italian food, and it is IN New York City. Sure, it is cheaper than Manhattan but most places are. We looked everywhere (Ditmas Park, DUMBO, Vinegar Hill, City Island, Jersey City, Jersey City Heights, Kensington, Manhattan, The Bronx, Westchester, Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn Heights, Crown Heights, and so many more places) and we chose Staten Island because of this unique combination of all the things we wanted. Also, I'm so sick of ferry bashing. The ferry is the best thing about my day. It is so beautiful and relaxing to take a boat into the city. I can use my computer. I can stare at the water. I never get sick of it. And it is exotic to take a boat to work. I would take 22 minutes on the ferry over 22 minutes on the F or L trains in Brooklyn any day! Please! Let the hipsters stay where they are but bring on the real artists.

"Hipsters On Staten Island" video from The New York Times. Yours truly is featured in this but I'm NOT a hipster, sorry!

"Bohemia By The Bay" a feature article from The New York Times

And speaking of hipsters here is a YouTube video you MUST watch. The Hipster Olympics in Williamsburg:

Thank you to all of you came out to meet and talk to Cara and Michelle: Kamillah Hanks, Diane Matyas, Michelle Budenz, The Fort Hill Circle clan, Rispoli (who fed us delicous Italian ices), Leidy's, Everything Goes Cafe, The Downtown Staten Island Council (who didn't know that Cara was there at their party), The St. George Theater, Cargo, Sara Valentine, Gregor Scheer, Ann Marie and Wilder Selzer, Russell Farhang, the attic guys at The Staten Island Museum who gave us tours, and those of you who met Cara at Leidys. And thank you to Cara and Michelle for finding out more about us.

Please read the article and watch the video and post your thoughts on it below. Many people wrote to me (via e-mail and my "MySpace page" ) but it would be good to let others hear what you have to say as well.

Photographs from Cynthia von Buhler and Russell Farhang's party at their home to celebrate the closing of Show & Tell at The Staten Island Museum. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

The Times sent a photographer to my recent Staten Island Museum closing party at our house but they only printed one photo (without a credit, it was of The Hungry March Band) so here are some photos, by Paul Weiner, from the party. It attracted a ton of people from Manhattan and also from Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Boston, New Jersey, and the island. And people of all different ages arrived, not just twenty-something hipsters (although there were plenty of those in attendance). So, things are a-changing here. Thanks to: The Hungry March Band for leading a parade from the museum up to our house, Christoph and Trish (and Russell) for entertaining us with songs about Staten Island, Al Gori and his fabulous merry-go-round (a big hit with children and adults), Miwa (our lovely bartender), Dalia (who helped me clean up and prepare the house for a Latina magazine photoshoot that happened the next day at 8AM), and all of you who took the ferry over (and loved the ride).








11 comments:

  1. I'm moving to Staten Island!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome party, Cythia. I am 800% with you as another one of the "older, and actual artists Adam talked about. We do support one another here. I look forward to working with you to get a more cohesive community of artists going.
    I'm also here because I want to be.

    Mary Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  3. The article was okay but it was too much about the idea of being hip and not enough about what a great place it is to live. Hipness refers to clothing and hair styles. I'd like to see an article that wasn't so shallow. - A neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your party looked to be so much fun!!! I am a 22 yr old actress and moved to St. George in June. I absolutely LOVE it, though I wish I knew some people here. I know that happens with time, not overnight. Do you have any suggestions on how the incoming residents can meet other artists?? Your blog is fantastic & I am so excited for all of the happenings of Staten Island!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your post. I sent you an e-mail with information on our upcoming event. I also added you to my e-mail list so you'll know about what is coming up in the future. You should meet Maria. She lives on our street and is also an actress.

    If anyone else out there wants to be in the loop about events on Staten Island (and elsewhere) please send an e-mail to info@cynthiavonbuhler.com

    Cheers, Cynthia aka CVB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without a doubt, this is the dumbest NY Times article I've seen on the North Shore. It completely ignores the fact that St. George has been an artists' haven since the late 1960s/early 70s (who do you think created Snug Harbor?) It also ignores the very sizable preservation community that was responsible for keeping those charming Victorians from the wrecking ball. I've been here for 10 years (art historian, in my 30s), and these people are what
    make this area so desireable to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duly noted. You guys are the real pioneers. Thanks for posting and thanks for saving the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Williamsburg hipster video is so funny! LOL! Thanks for including that. I think that the article is good for the island. We need more coolness factor here even though it can be vapid. There will be other articles about the artists who have been around forever but in order to attract younger people to the island we need articles like this one in the Times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This article unfortunately didn't talk to born and bred Staten Islanders like Ed from Industrial Television, the guy who started the Coney Island Film Festival, the guys who own the legendary L'Amours Rock club (sorry I have forgotten all of their names), Manny who opened Martini Red and Terrible Tim. True artists and visionaries who aren't transplants. It's cool to move here and assimilate but why not get to know more than the small circle you seem to be recognizing?
    John from Snug Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Note to John from Snug Harbor:

    We didn't write the article! I'm not sure how old the people that you mention are but, for this article the Times were interested in focusing on the younger (or youngish) SI community. I agree that an article should be written which interviews all the people that you mention. Who cares how old people are as long as they are doing interesting things. I did suggest Martini Red to the writer but you can't control what the press write about. I could only make suggestions. We are look forward to meeting anyone and everyone. Feel free to suggest articles or interesting SI information to us any time.

    ReplyDelete