Monday, March 17, 2008

The Artists Are Coming: NBC News Interviews Staten Island Artists

Theo Dorian and I (Cynthia von Buhler) were interviewed by NBC's Gabe Pressman about being artists on Staten Island and how more artists are finding out that Staten Island is a unique place to live and work. Theo, a photographer, came awhile back, and I am a painter/sculptor who arrived more recently. In this short clip Theo and I talk about SHOW, an art space near the ferry terminal that we are opening soon. A couple of my paintings will be featured in the clip. Gallery 6 and Staten Island painter Jenny Tango were also featured and interviewed. This clip focused on the artists who were the first to come and have been here for a long time and how they paved the way for the new crop of younger artists and galleries.

The clip aired on the March 18th 11PM news, Channel 4 (Tri-state area: NY, CT, NJ). It will also appear on some digital affiliates.

Other recent press about artists coming to Staten Island can be found in the following posts on this site. You can find them using the "Search Prodigal Borough" box to the right:

Bohemia by the Bay: New York Times Feature
Hipsters on Staten Island: A New York Times video feature
Staten Island Seeks Artists: NY1 News
House call, Animal Kingdom: Time Out New York
A Quest for a Castle, New York Times slideshow feature
Looking for a House and a Turret, The New York Times

4 comments:

  1. hi-
    just bought a tiny house in New Brighton after being fed up with Brooklyn hype and expense; looking forward to connecting with a creative community. will contact you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for being a part of NBC news and giving a nice information....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it impossible to find a studio for artists in Staten Island or is it just me? I've been looking for quite some time and all I see are office spaces or store fronts for rent.
    Of course nothing wrong with store fronts, if you are lucky with the tenants who live above you (you know, not the tenants from hell, wihch are the ones that are living above my studio right now). Anyway, I need to rent a space, I'm looking for 480 square feet or so, and I don't want to rent a studio in Brooklyn or Long Island City; the commuting will be to much. If you know of such space, please let me know.
    My email: alrebbel@gmail.com

    Than you

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great art studio is
    The Studio 150 at 150 Bay Street. The studio and gallery is run by two glass artists from Staten Island. The artwork is hand blown glass, fused jewelry and lighting, and glass mosaics. I believe they also have classes there. I purchased a fantastic necklace there this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete