Saturday, April 29, 2006

A Day in the Life - My Commute in Pictures and Timestamps

What is it actually like to commute from St. George to midtown Manhattan?

I warmed up my trusty cellphone camera this morning and took as many snapshots as I could on the way to work without arousing suspicion. I drew a great number of uneasy glances while I snapped away (domestic paranoia on public transportation is at an all time high, so this was to be expected). Some of the shots are especially blurry or badly backlit as the result of my stealthy maneuvering. Without further ado:



9:14am - Leaving from the side door. I was at the office until 9 last night, so a late start today.




9:14am - Down the front steps




9:14am - And more steps. Getting to this house is a bit of a hike.




9:15am - Looking down Fort Hill Circle towards Daniel Low Terrace. Oops, it's time to rake.




9:15am - Looking back towards the house; I ran into a landscaper working on my neighbor's house and accosted him for a card. The prodigal homestead gardens are becoming a little big amazon-esque and I've yet to find enough time to spend on it, so it might be time to bring in some help. It was Tom Henri from True Green Landscaping, and I think I'll be giving him a call soon to discuss getting some help.




9:17am - The big tudor house at the intersection of Vine St. and Daniel Low Terrace. Rumor has it that the original owner of this house and the owner of ours were brothers. Their yards were connected into one giant ramble complete with swimming pool.




9:17am - Pleasant, green, and sleepy on Vine Street.






9:18am - Corner of Vine and Belmont, more of the same.




9:19am - I can't remember what this park and playground is called, but I pass it twice a day every day.








9:19am - Rounding the corner of the park towards the water. My camera doesn't show it, but the horizon is the Brooklyn skyline.




9:20am - The water at the end of Wall Street. Not that Wall Street. It looks like sunrise because the exposure was weird, not because it actually looked that way.




9:20am - Looking right from Wall St. down St. Marks Place.




9:21am - Looking down Wall St. near Academy Place. This is what they mean when they say San Francisco-esque.




9:23am - Moving (too) quickly by the corner store on Stuyvesant Pl.




9:23am - Doesn't look like much, but it's our local NYPD precinct.




9:23am - My daily viewing of the ballpark on Richmond Terrace and Wall St.




9:24am - Crossing Richmond Terrace




9:24am - Looking back up Wall St. from the ferry side of Richmond Terrace.




9:24am - Ferry parking, new terminal arch, and breathtaking skyline view (use your imagination here since the camera didn't catch it) from the viaduct.




9:24am - Fellow commuter scurrying along the viaduct.




9:25am - A glance back towards Borough Hall and the courthouse on Richmond Terrace from the viaduct.




9:25am - Manhattan Skyline from the viaduct.




9:25am - The brand new St. George Staten Island ferry terminal.




9:26am - Sauntering up the steps of the ferry terminal with 4 minutes to spare.




9:27am - Skyline and ferry activity from the plaza outside the terminal.






9:27am - Stragglers heading in for the 9:30 ferry.




9:28am - Some of New York's Finest checking out the stragglers.




9:28am - Each ferry has a name. This one is the Samuel I. Ne....um, nevermind. Some ferries are larger than others, it just depends on the time of day.




9:29am - The ferry next door.




9:29am - I love to sit on the outer deck when it's warm to get the ocean breezes.




9:30am - Always lots of tourists enjoying the views.




9:30am - Departing on time to the minute. My fellow islander making use of his cellphone cam. It's hard to resist taking photos.








9:31am - Waiting in line at the Liberty Cafe, the onboard coffee and food place for a croissant and some coffee.




9:40am - Coffee in hand, now to enjoy the ride.




9:45am - No, that's not a mushroom cloud behind the Statue of Liberty.




9:45am - Passing the ferry going back towards the Island. Manhattan on the right, Jersey City on the left.




9:46am - Passing ferry with Jersey City backdrop.






9:46am - Nearing Governor's Island




9:48am - Happy tourists taking pictures of downtown on this blindingly blue day.




9:49am - The money shot: This is why they ride the ferry.




9:49am - Let's take a moment to remember our happy days in Brooklyn.




9:50am - Manhattan and Brooklyn are friends.






9:50am - More skyline splendor.








9:51am - The brand new Staten Island ferry terminal on the Manhattan side.




9:52am - Our friends at the U. S. Coast Guard, who can occasionally be seen walking patrol on the ferry, guarding the landings, or speeding by in their light patrol boats and waving.








9:52am - A NYCDOT employee gets ready to unleash a torrent of tourists and speed-walking commuters on downtown Manhattan.




9:54am - I am actually the first one off the ferry. As I dash ahead, I snap this shot.






9:54am - Rushing down the terminal ramp to the subways and the workday beyond.




9:55am - The beautiful but tragically backlit Battery Maritime building.




9:56am - About to go subterranean in front of 1 New York Plaza. If I lived here, I'd be home by now.




10:01am - Scored a seat on the R train. 47 minutes and counting. Rather than post a picture of the subway for each station, I took notes on the arrival times as follows:


10:06am - City Hall

10:09am - Canal St.

10:13am - 14th Street. Dashed across the platform and grabbed an N express train.

10:16am - 34th Street.




10:18am - 42nd Street. I didn't realize it actually takes only a minute from 34th.




10:21am - Bryant Park. Fashion week is over.




10:23am - Welcome to the big city.


1:09 from door to door. If I worked downtown, it would be faster; if I worked uptown, it would be slower. Having express train service directly from Whitehall would certainly make this much quicker. I've heard rumors it's in the works, but who knows when that will be. Interesting that the commute breaks down this way:


14 minutes: House to ferry (I can cover this in 10 minutes flat if I'm not taking pictures)

26 minutes: Ferry ride

24 minutes: Whitehall to 42nd Street

8 comments:

  1. Update: Commute officially shortened.

    Since last year, I have no longer been taking the R train from south ferry, now I take the 1 to the 2/3 at Chambers. This way, I can cut the subway portion of the commute to about 15-20 minutes (when the trains match up). So most days, I leave the house at 8:30 and get to the office at 9:30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very cool. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to the popularity of Russell's blog entry I will be documenting my commute from St. George to the Meatpacking district (14th Street and 9th Ave) soon. My commute is shorter than his. I get the 1 at the ferry, go two stops, and then switch to the 2/3 at Chambers which is express right to 14th Street. It takes me about 45 minutes (and I meander). I imagine that if you worked on Wall Street it would be only a half an hour! The ferry ride is a great place to write blog entries during the commute. Since I am an artist I get in to work at 1PM so it's just me and the tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on staten island and commuted for years, but had an hour and fourty minute commute from the west shore area.
    I guess if I lived in St. George I would still get to manhattan in an hour. Makes me want to leave Brooklyn for that "up and coming" vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only 4 comments so far? Too bad! Wish my commute was as picturesque and easy. I moved from Silver Lake to Ridgewood, Queens, and both commutes are long in differnt ways. Love the view from the ferry, but connections on either side were tenuous at best, and more I missed the 12:30am boat to St. George more times than I care to admit. When that happened, I had no choice but to sit in Whitehall Terminal for 30 minutes and curse the ferry worker who closed the door in the faces of 30 people who just got off the IRT at South Ferry! Ridgewood not much better (do they EVER clean those 40-yr-old "M" trains?), and view from elevated line is dismal on a good day. At least I don't have to worry about making the boat, however. If I were to move back to SI, I'd pick Dongan Hills/Grant City/New Dorp corridor along Hylan Blvd. Lots of apts for rent, relatively cheap, tons of shopping (delis, markets, post offices, etc) and easy to park my little car. Also, lots of express bus service to midtown Manhattan that run on nights and weekends (albeit at $5 a ride). I miss that Staten Island sunshine (Ridgewood is so DARK). More later...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. I'd like to see it set to music.

    Marguerite Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. This commute really is great though. Take the 1 to Chambers and then switch to an express, 15 - 20 minutes to times square. Although, the new South Ferry subway station will be completed in 2008 making commuting not only prettier but faster. http://www.lowermanhattan.info/construction/project_updates/south_ferry_subway_station_70317.aspx It's going to be pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Cid! I looked into that and made a new post about it. See the blog front page.

    ReplyDelete