Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Prodigal Commute Part II - S.I. to 14th Street - 48 minutes

Due to the popularity of Russell's timestamp commute blog entry from S.I. to midtown Manhattan, I decided to put up my own version: I commute to my art studio on 13th Street in the Meatpacking district. I take a slightly different route down to the ferry by going behind Borough Hall. When I lived in Park Slope, I took the F train and then switched to the express along the way. The F train was broken all the time! I had read in The L Magazine that the F train was graded F which is so fitting. I eventually found an alternate route (R train to the D) but I had to switch trains 3 times and suffered long waits in some nasty train stations (although I enjoyed feeding the rats, really!). Either way it took me about 45 minutes to get to 14th Street, so my commute time has not changed. What has changed, however, it that now my ride is much more pleasant and calming, and it is a great time for me to work on my computer.

Travel Time: 48 minutes

12:15: Leave the house through our front door.

12:15: Walk around back and stop to feed the fish in our pond and while doing so I discover that the turtle we placed in the pond last summer made it through the winter! We thought our raccoons had eaten him for a treat.

12:17: Stop to smell the fabulous wisteria which is totally out of control in the garden.



12:17: Run down the many, many steps and turn to take a quick look back up at our house.

12:18: Turn the corner onto Daniel Low Terrace. Pass by a very large tudor house. Our houses were once owned by relatives and our gardens meet through a secret door.

12:18: Pass a charming brick house.

12:19: Pass a well kept barn-roofed house.

12:19: I can’t resist taking a picture of this cat on a roof. This house, on the other side of Fort Hill Circle, could use a coat of paint.

12:20: Have you noticed how lush this greenery is? It is such a pleasure to see this everyday.

12:21 Pass my favorite neighborhood mansion on the left.

12:21 Corner of Daniel Low Terrace and Fort Place.

12:22 On the corner of Belmont and Fort Place, there is a lovely brick Victorian. Russell says how much he likes this house every time we pass by.

12:23 Does this house look familiar? It is a recent Prodigal Pick of the Day and is currently for sale. A woman who sees me photograph it smiles and says, "you should see how beautiful that house is on the inside!"

12:25: Pass The Saint George Theater on the left. The door is open so I peek in and...

12:25 ...this is what I see.

12:26: I’m nearing the ferry terminal now. On the right is the location of the forthcoming Lighthouse Museum.

12:26: Pass the stately Borough Hall as I cross Richmond Terrace.

12:26: Welcome sign in front of Borough Hall.

12:27: Entering the ferry terminal driveway.

12:28: Passing over the ferry parking lot.

12:29: I’m running late (from stopping to take all of these pictures) so I skip getting coffee at The Water’s Edge in the terminal (where the guys are very friendly to me everyday). I’m walking quickly now to catch the ferry before the door closes.

12:30: I walk quickly past the security dog but pause to snap a picture. Those dogs are great. I feel much safer having them here and they are also really cute.

12:30: View on the left as I’m the last to board the ferry.

12:31 I order a latte on the ferry…

12:32 where they serve Starbucks coffee without the annoying cup size names.

12:35 This is what I see everyday. It still makes me smile. These two ships are passing.

12:37 As they pass each other the view of Brooklyn appears.

12:38 This boat looks like it is fake but it is very real.

12:45 I see Lady Liberty everyday.

12:46 Photo ops galore!

12:47 As the ferry nears Manhattan I get a nice view of Governor’s Island , the Manhattan Bridge, and the Brooklyn Bridge.

12:50 This is the Maritime Building, which appears to be an old ferry terminal. It's undergoing a fetching restoration.

12:51 My old home, Brooklyn.

12:53 This is the wooden bumper which absorbs the shock of the ferry as it docks. Isn’t is pretty?

12:55 We have arrived at Whitehall!

12:56 Exit.

12:56 Take the escalator down, run through the turnsile, run downstairs, and jump on the 1 train uptown which is about to leave. Switch to the 2 express train at Chambers Street. The 2 train arrives as the 1 train arrives in the station. Jump off the 1 train and onto the 2 train.

1:03 Arrive at 14th Street and 7th Avenue! TOTAL TRAVEL TIME (including backyard fish-and-turtle-feeding-expedition): 48 minutes.

39. I have other errands to run before I go to my loft to work. I lose track of time here. Eventually, after more meandering, I stop at 'sNice, my favorite coffee shop, and then I head over to the meatpacking district. CVB Space, is my art studio, an art gallery, and an event space.

40. CVB Space.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking me to work with you. I've got a big grin on my face right now and I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry with the shear pleaure of it all. I grew up in New Brighton on Crescent Ave, in the 50s & 60s, and walked from home to the library along that same route. Then, after high school, I worked in Manhattan and rode the ferry every day, seeing those same sights that I never got tired of. I've lived in Wisconsin since 1978 and try to get home every few years or so. Thanks for the short trip back home-good for the soul and lots cheaper, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the old mansion snapped at 12:21 haunted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that the first anonymous 1 liked my commute pix.

    Anon. 2: As far as I know the brick mansion on Daniel Low Terrace has not been publicly announced to be haunted. Personally, I haven't seen any ghosts around it. I think that the ghosts are deterred by the ugly basketball hoop out front. Ghosts don't like things like that.

    --CVB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you cannot see the basketball hoop in the picture as it is to the right of the house. I cropped it out of the frame on purpose.--CVB

    ReplyDelete
  5. your garden looks gorgeous! and those are some of my favorite houses, too. the big barn one on our corner is owned by a retired NY Times real estate editor (funny). i didn't know that the artists' house across from the deli was for sale. such a beautiful home. i love this neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh!
    And hi to Anon 1. I was born & raised on the Island; I lived on Crescent early 70's :-)
    How well I know those places; the neighborhood; that commute.
    I attended the original SICC/Bay St. U; then Richmond College; worked at old Medical Arts.
    You made it all so beautiful & I am filled with nostalgia.
    Spent a lot of today reading Forgotten-ny and all they had on the Island.
    I moved to Manhattan in late 70's.
    Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because of your phototour my husband and I decided to check out your work route and pretty much saw all your favorite houses along the way. We particularly drooled over #150 Daniel Low Terrace. But God, our legs were killing us as we trudged up 45 degree hills! We were looking for 157 Daniel Low Terrace which we just found out was where a distant relative of ours had lived in the 1930s. It's an apartment building not on the grand scale of #30 Daniel Low with its art deco glory but more or less a tudorish style. We are working on our family history and have no idea how long our Edward Evans and his wife Ann lived there. But there is a family history that says his wife Ann gave birth on the Staten Island Ferry around 1915- 1920. Does anyone know if there is a way to find out more information about that? Is there a museum for the SI Ferry that would hold such information? I haven't been able to find these people in 1920 or 1930 Censuses. Unfortunately, Evans is a very common name. He came from Russia and had changed his name from Evenchik or some alternate spelling phonetically similar.
    Anyway I'm sure with those steep climbs your calves must be well-developed! A good cardio workout for sure. Beats paying to go to the gym! We enjoyed the tour and felt like we had stepped into another time and place. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about a reverse commute, Manhattan to SI? That time will be longer...

    ReplyDelete