Thursday, May 25, 2006

Surprises On The Ferry


Photo: By CVB, Governor's Island from the usual side.

Usually, my commute is pretty much the same. Perhaps there are more tug boats one day or freighters the next. But the other day I looked up from my iBook and I was in the twightlight zone! We were in a narrow passage with huge cranes to my right and an island with stately buildings on the left. There were large sailboats all around. We had gone the long way around Governor’s Island. I take the ferry 4 days a week, twice a day, and the ferry driver has never taken this route. Although, I have noticed more boat traffic than usual recently. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my camera. I would have had great shots of Red Hook and the less seen side of Governor’s Island. I'll make sure to have my camera in the future. Another surprise on the ferry was the “poetry” being broadcast at the center of the boat. It sounded like religious propaganda to me because it was a reading about Noah’s Arc, but when I asked a DOT employee he said it was the “poetry section” of the boat. I like that. Spoken word on the ferry. That is a step in the right direction. However, I doubt that they’ll play any of my spoken word: Women of Sodom, Countess).

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure the ferries were being rerouted to give a wider berth to all the Navy ships heading up the Hudson for Fleet Week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's always a sweet surprise.
    FYI: Your narrow passage: it's called Buttermilk Channel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thanks! Interestingly, we ended up going through Buttermil;k Channel again (this time with cameras ready) on the SI Film Festival cruise (it's in a later post, here's the picture: http://prodigalborough.com/blogger/uploaded_images/ferryride6-744076.jpg)

    CvB had her camera with her this time and we snapped a lot of pictures of the cranes, but for some reason they're not up.

    ReplyDelete